Man reportedly stands up for son, gets stabbed | News
TYLER, TEXAS (KLTV)-
An East Texas man remains hospitalized after a late night stabbing, reportedly while he was standing up for his son.
It happened around 9 p.m. Monday in the 500 block of Wells Street in Tyler.
Police said 39-year-old Eldon Wilks heard someone make a comment to his 14-year-old stepson outside his home.
Officials said when Wilks confronted the man and a fight began, Wilks reportedly received several cuts and stab wounds to the arms and upper body. The suspect, along with an identified friend, left before officers arrived.
Don Martin works as the Public Information Officer for the Tyler Police Department and says they might have an ID on the suspect.
"We do believe that we know who is involved in this. It's just a matter, again, of investigating thoroughly and making sure that this wasn't any type of self defense due to the fact that Wilks went out and confronted him first, so that is all being investigated at this point," Martin said.
No arrests have been made at this time. While Wilks is still in the hospital, we are told his injuries are not life-threatening.
Copyright 2012 KLTV. all rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Pastor responds to Warner Bros.' comparison of Superman to Jesus
- Man who smuggled live snakes on plane was former East Texas educator
- Police release surveillance video from Tyler motel murder
- Tyler man pleaded guilty to smuggling live snakes from Peru to Tyler in his jacket
- Do you recognize the man in this surveillance video?