Photography class evacuates due to small fire in downtown Tyler | News
TYLER, TX (KLTV)- Released by the Tyler Fire Department:
The Tyler Fire Department responded to a single alarm structure fire this morning at the Gallery Main Street building at 110 W. Erwin in downtown Tyler. The initial call was received at 10:56 a.m. Firefighters gained control of the incident at 11:11 a.m. Three engines and one Ladder Company, along with a district chief, responded to the scene. The fire was quickly brought under control by responding firefighters. Due to the smoke conditions, fire crews ventilated the structure.
A roofing crew was removing a metal marquee brace from the roof with a cutting torch in order to fix a leak. As a result, tar and wood material on the roof caught fire, filling the building with smoke. There are no damage estimates at this time and no injuries were reported.
A photography class was forced to evacuate when a small fire broke out in downtown Tyler.
Around 11am, Tyler fire crews responded to the fire at the Gallery Main Street in downtown Tyler.
A small fire broke out while crews were working with hot tar on the roof. The fire caused the inside of the building to fill with smoke, causing at least a dozen students in a photography class inside to evacuate.
"When we came outside it started snowing some cinders from the roof," said student David DiPaolo.
Fire officials say a roofing crew started the fire by accident.
"They were using a cutting torch up there and they just caught the old roof on fire," said Joey Wiggins with the Tyler Fire Department.
Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.
"It could have been very bad. Sure could of," said Wiggins.
Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.