TJC hosts annual jazz festival March 22 and 23 | Arts & Culture
Released by Tyler Jr. College:
Brad Leali served as lead alto saxophone and musical director of the Harry Connick Jr. Orchestra and is current sax professor and director of the Three O’Clock Lab Band at the University of North Texas in Denton.
Leali will bring his talents to Tyler as guest artist for Tyler Junior College’s annual Jazz Festival set Thursday and Friday in Wise Auditorium on the TJC main campus.
He will spend most of this week working with area jazz students and perform with the TJC Jazz Ensembles 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
Jazz groups from area middle and high schools will perform throughout each day prior to the evening performances.
Admission is free for all events, and no tickets are required.
"It is always a thrill for us to bring someone of Brad’s caliber to come and play with our student groups," said Heather Mensch, TJC director of jazz studies. "Brad is a fabulous musician with a very down-to-earth personality; plus, he’s a fantastic educator."
Also playing during both evening performances will be local jazz pianists and TJC Jazz Festival regular, George Faber, Tyler ISD director of fine arts.
TJC Jazz I ensemble members are: James Johnson, Bullard; Chris Ferguson, Chapel Hill; Matt Sherman, Elysian Fields; Cody Jamison, Arp; LeKeith Finney, Dallas; Keaton Ainsworth, Tyler; Jordan Delk, Tyler; Spencer McGregor, Lindale; Alyssa Pitcock, Blossom; Brailynd Summers, Troup; Cody Schwark, Mesquite; Max Dannenberg, Mineola; Joshua Swanigan, Dallas; Kent Price, Henderson; Conner Morgan, Tyler; Eduardo Santoy, Mineola; Chris Pitts, Troup; and Ty Matthews, Canton.
TJC Jazz II members are: Grant Ewing, Tyler; Salvador Rangel, Palestine; Kaylie Dike, Ben Wheeler; LaDarius Daniels, Gilmer; Justin Ridgeway, Hawkins; Juan Rodriguez, Arp; Moises Santos,Terrell; Moses Aguilar, Grand Saline; Matt Asiaban, Mesquite; Jose Lopez, Commerce; Levi Muniz, Commerce; Matthew Cotton, Westwood; Brandon Machristie, Tyler; Riley Lawson, Canton; Michael Heatley-Tyler; and Victor Piantanida, Whitehouse.
The TJC Jazz Festival schedule, which includes performances by area school jazz ensembles:
Thursday, March 22, Wise Auditorium
• 10 a.m. – East Texas Christian Academy
• 11 a.m. – Grace Community School
• Noon – Lunch break
• 1 p.m. – Robert E. Lee High School
• 2 p.m. – Boulter Middle School
• 3 p.m. – UT Tyler Jazz Combo
• 4 p.m. – Mount Pleasant High School
• 5 p.m. – UT Tyler Jazz Ensemble
• 6:30 p.m. – TJC sound check
• 7 p.m. – East Texas Christian Jazz Band
• 7:30 p.m. -- Concert with TJC Jazz Ensembles and Brad Leali
Friday, March 23, Wise Auditorium
• 10 a.m. – All-Saints Episcopal
• 11 a.m. – Whitehouse High School
• Noon – Lunch break
• 1 p.m. – Texas High School Group 1
• 2 p.m. – Texas High School Group 2
• 3 p.m. – Moore Middle School
• 4 p.m. – Texas High School Group 3
• 5 p.m. – Quitman High School
• 6:30 p.m. – TJC soundcheck
• 7 p.m. – TJC Jazz Combo
• 7:30 p.m. – Concert with TJC Jazz Ensembles and Brad Leali
For more information, call the TJC band hall at 903-510-3195 or e-mail Mensch at firstname.lastname@example.org.